Melvin Jones Fellowship
Melvin Jones Fellowship
The Melvin Jones Fellowship (MJF) recognizes donations of US$1,000. It is the backbone of LCIF, providing 75 percent of the foundation's revenue. As recognition of humanitarian work, an MJF is an honor presented to those who donate US$1,000 to LCIF or to people for whom a donation was made by others.
Contributions can be made by individuals (including non-Lions), clubs or districts. Donations may be in one sum, or in installments of a minimum of US$100 over a five-year period. Melvin Jones Fellows receive an attractive lapel pin, a plaque and a congratulatory letter.
It is possible to make a donation and choose the MJF recipient later. Write "Melvin Jones Fellow to be named later" on the check or bank draft. When an individual's or group’s personal donation(s) are accumulated for a club's or district's use to select a Melvin Jones Fellowship recipient, LCIF needs the signed consent. Please include such documentation with the completed MJF application that is sent to LCIF Donor Services.
*Note that many countries may charge customs and VAT charges for the importation of Melvin Jones Fellowship plaques. These fees are the responsibility of the individual or club locally receiving the plaque.
The Progressive Melvin Jones Fellowship (PMJF) program is a way for donors to extend their commitment to LCIF. There are 54 recognition levels beyond the initial US$1,000 MJF contribution with a unique pin for each giving level.
After contributing US$100,000, donors become Humanitarian Partners.
To order replacement pins or to make a PMJF donation, contact Donor Services at 630-203-3836 or e-mail us. Prices for pin replacements vary by level.
- The Fellowship was established in 1973 and the Progressive program began in 1986 in response to Lions' request for a way to extend their commitment to LCIF.
- Donations through MJFs provide 75 percent of the Foundation's annual revenue.
- There are 54 levels in the PMJF program.
- As of January 2016, there are 386,804 MJF recipients and 75,067 PMJF recipients worldwide.
- All MJFs are invited to the annual luncheon held at the convention (ticket purchase required). The MJF luncheon began in 1984 and has been held at each convention since then.
- The names of MJFs are displayed on a computer in the LCIF Room at the International Headquarters.